Crawford Art Gallerypermanent collection

The 'Lancellotti' Discobolus
The 'Lancellotti' Discobolus
c. 1816
Italian School
Plaster cast from the roman copy in the Vatican Museum
170 x 107 x 42cm

713-S

Presented to the Cork Arts Society in 1819, hence transferred from the Royal Cork Institution c. 1849.
The original Discobolus, or discus thrower, was sculpted in bronze by the 5th century B.C. Athenian sculptor Myron of Eleutherai. However, it is known only through various marble replicas made in Roman times, of which the ‘Lancellotti’ is the most complete. The figure is shown paused just before the moment of throwing the discus. Myron was developing towards that fluid naturalism that characterizes the best of Athenian sculpture. The cast in the Crawford collection was evidently taken in the 19th century from an inaccurately restored Roman copy, so that the head, which should have been turned to watch the discus, is instead facing forward.











Plaster Casts by Antonio Canova
Italian School















Content for id "featureboxsmall" Goes Here